1 portrait of Anna Zinkeisen
by Anna Katrina Zinkeisen
oil on canvas, circa 1944
29 5/8 in. x 24 5/8 in. (752 mm x 625 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Anna Katrina Zinkeisen (1901-1976), Painter. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Anna Katrina Zinkeisen (1901-1976), Painter. Artist of 2 portraits, Sitter in 10 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In this self-portrait, Anna Zinkeisen looks out at the viewer with a confident gaze and positions herself in the world as artist, woman and worker. The lighting and colouring directs us to her painting arm. The bracelet around her wrist bears the insignia of the St John's Ambulance Brigade for which she was volunteering as a casualty nurse. This self-portrait may have been made in a disused operating theatre at St Mary's Hospital, Paddington, where she worked during the Second World War.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 227
- Rideal, Liz, Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by Women Artists, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12 September 2001 to 20 January 2002), p. 85
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 685
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 213
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists (12 September 2001 - 20 January 2002)
See this portrait
On display in Room 32 at the National Portrait Gallery
Exhibitions and displays
- Simon Schama’s Face of Britain
Until 4 January 2016