by Arthur Devis
oil on oak panel, circa 1742-1744
3 1/2 in. x 2 5/8 in. (90 mm x 65 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Arthur Devis (1712-1787), Portrait painter. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist associated with 4 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Arthur Devis (1712-1787), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 4 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
This self-portrait is painted on wood instead of vellum or ivory, which were more typical for miniatures.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 143
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 176
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 59
Events of 1742back to top
Current affairsRobert Walpole resigns as Prime Minister following the scandal surrounding the alleged rigging of the Chippenham by-election. He is made 1st Earl of Orford. Carteret administration formed with Spencer Compton, 1st Earl of Wilmington as Prime Minister.
Art and scienceComposer George Frideric Handel's Messiah is first performed at The Great Music Hall in Dublin.
Ranelagh Gardens opens in Chelsea.
Writer Edmond Hoyle publishes the definitive rules of whist.
James Bradley succeeds Edmond Halley as Astronomer Royal.
Painter Charles Jervas' translation of Don Quixote is posthumously published.
InternationalWar of the Austrian Succession: Treaty of Berlin, mediated by Britain, is signed by Maria Theresa of Austria and Frederick II of Prussia, ending the First Silesian War. George II acts as guarantor.
Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius proposes 100 degrees between the freezing and boiling points of water.