1 portrait of George Harrison
by Alistair Morrison
bromide print, 1988
17 3/4 in. x 18 in. (453 mm x 457 mm)
Given by Alistair Morrison, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Harrison (1943-2001), Musician; member of The Beatles. Sitter in 49 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Alistair Morrison (1957-), Photographer. Artist associated with 82 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 284
Events of 1988back to top
Current affairsA Pan Am jumbo jet is brought down by a bomb over Lockerbie in Scotland, killing 259 passengers and 11 people on the ground. The Dumfries and Galloway Constabulary launched Britain's largest criminal investigation before convicting a Libyan intelligence officer of planting the bomb.
Art and scienceProfessor Stephen Hawking publishes his popular book on cosmology, A Brief History Of Time.Damien Hirst and his fellow Goldsmiths students organise the exhibition Freeze in a disused block in the Docklands. The exhibition launched the careers of many of the young British artists (YBAs) associated with Brit Art including Gary Hume, Michael Landy, Sarah Lucas, Angus Fairhurst, and Anya Gallaccio.
InternationalIraq drops poison gas on the Iraqi Kurdish city of Halabja, killing thousands of civilians. The city was held at the time by Iranian forces and Iraqi Kurdish rebels, although there was initially some debate over which side was responsible for the atrocity. It was the largest-scale chemical attack on civilians in modern times.
Exhibitions and displays
- Exposed: The Naked Portrait
Until 11 September
- Visualising Portraits: Exposed: The Naked Portrait
30 June, 14:00
- Lunchtime Lecture: Exposed: The Naked Portrait
18 August, 13:15