by Gisèle Freund
colour dye transfer print, 1939
12 in. x 8 1/4 in. (304 mm x 208 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Victoria Mary ('Vita') Sackville-West (1892-1962), Writer and gardener; wife of Sir Harold Nicolson. Sitter in 28 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This colour photograph was taken at Sissinghurst Castle where Freund returned for another portrait session in 1946.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Birkett, Dea; Morris, Jan (foreword), Off the Beaten Track: Three Centuries of Women Travellers, 2004 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 7 July to 31 October 2004), p. 93
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 543
- Spalding, Frances, Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 July 2014 - 26 October 2014), p. 124
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, Kent (sitter's home, Sissinghurst Castle, Cranbrook, Kent)