by Sir Thomas Brock
marble statue, before 1902
78 in. (1982 mm) high
Transferred from Department of the Environment (Crown Estate), 1992
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 524 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Thomas Brock (1847-1922), Sculptor. Artist associated with 7 portraits, Sitter in 9 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 635
Events of 1902back to top
Current affairsPrime Minister Lord Salisbury resigns and is replaced by his nephew, Balfour, who this year introduces the Education Act, which controversially hands control of secondary education from school boards to Local Education Authorities. Arthur Griffith, leader of the Society of Gaels, introduces a policy of 'Sinn Fein' at a Society meeting in Dublin, which includes passive resistance to the British and the establishment of an Irish ruling council.
Art and scienceJoseph Conrad publishes his short story The Heart of Darkness, a powerful critique of European imperialism. Based on his experiences in Africa, the narrative follows Charles Marlow's journey into the Belgian Congo in search of the mysterious trader Kurtz. In New York, Alfred Stieglitz founds the Photo-Secession movement, a group of US photographers influenced by the Pictoralist movement, seeking recognition of photography as art in its own terms.
InternationalThe first Aswan Dam is opened on the Nile, at the time the world's largest dam. The gravity dam, 1900m long and 54m high, was designed by Sir William Willcocks and built by engineers including Sir John Aird, whose firm John Aird & Company was the main contractor. The Boer War ends after the Boers accept their loss of independence under the Treaty of Vereeniging, bringing the Boer republics under British control.
See this portrait
On display at 15 Carlton House Terrace, London
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card