1 portrait of Winston Churchill
by Graham Vivian Sutherland
sketchbook, 14 pages, 1954
10 1/4 in. x 14 1/4 in. (260 mm x 362 mm)
Given by the artist's widow, Mrs Graham Sutherland, 1980
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965), Prime Minister. Sitter in 183 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Graham Vivian Sutherland (1903-1980), Painter. Artist associated with 23 portraits, Sitter in 61 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Of the fourteen pages remaining in this sketch book, a number relate to Sutherland's observations of his sitter's right sleeve. It is likely that further studies of the sitter's hands (Beaverbrook Art Gallery, Fredericton, New Brunswick), came from this sketch book. Here, two carefully observed arrangements of the sitter's right hand as it grasps the arm of the chair, are seen on one sheet. A more spontaneous rendition of the right sleeve and an indication of the position of the head, suggestive of a schematic idea for a composition, are juxtaposed with a series of gestural marks on the other. The turning of the sketchbook from horizontal to vertical and back conveys the artist's sense of urgency, as he captured detail in the short time of a sitting.
Exhibitions and displays
- Public and Private: Winston Churchill in Photographs
From 27 October
- Women and the First World War
Until 25 October
- Curators' Choice: Photographs from the Terence Pepper Gift
Until 24 January 2016