Queen Elizabeth II
5 of 918 portraits of Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Marcus Adams
bromide print, 1929
14 1/2 in. x 11 1/2 in. (368 mm x 292 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Marcus Adams (1875-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 110 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1929back to top
Current affairsThe first election held under universal suffrage is a victory for Labour. Ramsay Macdonald returned for his second term as Prime Minster, and appointed Margaret Grace Bondfield as the first woman Cabinet Minister.
Art and scienceTwo classic books about the First World War are published: All Quiet on the Western Front, by war veteran, Erich Maria Remarque, tells of the horrors of war and the returning German soldiers' feelings of detachment from civilian life; while Robert Grave's autobiography Goodbye to All That, aimed to describe the author's experiences of the war so that they 'need never be thought about again'.
InternationalThe 24th October 1929 becomes known as Black Thursday when the US Stock Exchange Collapses and millions are lost. The event was the start of the Wall Street Crash, which in turn contributed towards the Great Depression: a major international recession that lasted through most of the 1930s.
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Christopher Robin Milne with Pooh Bear by Marcus Adams greetings card
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Corgi Pin
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Fine Bone China Mug
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Tea Towel
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust