Queen Elizabeth II
10 of 918 portraits of Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Marcus Adams
bromide print, February 1939
14 1/2 in. x 11 1/2 in. (368 mm x 292 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Marcus Adams (1875-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 110 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 201
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Face of Monarchy (11 February 2006 - 6 September 2006)
Portrait setback to top
Events of 1939back to top
Current affairsBritain goes to war. The German invasion of Poland demonstrated that the policy of appeasement had failed. After refusing to meet Britain's ultimatum to withdraw troops, Britain and France declared war on Germany. The Second World War had begun.
Art and scienceThe Sutton Hoo burial ship is discovered. Apparently following a dream, Mrs Pretty invited the archaeologist Basil Brown to investigate a series of burial mounds on her estate on the banks of the river Deben in Suffolk. The excavation revealed an Anglo-Saxon burial, uncovering the most significant horde of early medieval artefacts found in Britain (now housed at the British Museum).
InternationalThe Second World War begins. Germany's invasion of Poland prompted Britain and France to declare war forming the core of the Allied powers. As part of the Soviet-Nazi Pact, the Soviet Union joined the war on the German side, helping, with Italy, to form the Axis Powers. Poland was soon overpowered and the Baltic Republics and Finland were invaded by the Soviet Union.
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Christopher Robin Milne with Pooh Bear by Marcus Adams greetings card
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust