The Royal Family
2 of 148 portraits of Prince Charles
The Royal Family
by Yousuf Karsh
bromide print, 1951
10 3/4 in. x 13 7/8 in. (273 mm x 352 mm)
Given by the photographer, Yousuf Karsh, 1987
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Princess Anne (1950-), Equestrian; Olympian; Princess Royal and daughter of Queen Elizabeth II. Sitter in 119 portraits.
- Prince Charles (1948-), Prince of Wales. Sitter in 148 portraits.
- Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh (1921-), Consort of Elizabeth II. Sitter associated with 211 portraits.
- Queen Elizabeth II (1926-), Queen regnant. Sitter associated with 919 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Yousuf Karsh (1908-2002), Photographer. Artist associated with 155 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 737
Events of 1951back to top
Current affairsThe Conservative Party wins the general election and Winston Churchill returns for a second term as prime minister.
Art and scienceOn the centenary of the Great Exhibition of 1851, the Festival of Britain is held as a nationwide celebration of British culture, and as an impetus for post-war regeneration. As well as various art, science and industrial exhibitions and events, a major regeneration project was initiated for the South Bank area of London under the directorship of the architect, Hugh Casson.
InternationalLibya declares its sovereignty from Italian rule, becoming the first independent state to be created by the UN.
At the Treaty of San Francisco, 48 nations sign a peace treaty with Japan, officially ending the Pacific War - the last battleground of the Second World War.