1 portrait of Augustus John
by Yousuf Karsh
bromide print, 1954
19 3/4 in. x 15 7/8 in. (502 mm x 402 mm)
Given by the photographer, Yousuf Karsh, 1991
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Augustus Edwin John (1878-1961), Painter. Sitter in 103 portraits, Artist associated with 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Yousuf Karsh (1908-2002), Photographer. Artist associated with 155 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Photographed at the sitter's home in Fordingbridge, Hampshire.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 339
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, Hampshire (sitter's home, Fryern Court, near Fordingbridge, Hampshire)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Augustus John: A Life in Portraits (26 July 2011 - 18 March 2012)
Events of 1954back to top
Current affairsRoger Bannister runs the four-minute mile. Bannister was the first man to achieve the 'miracle mile', a feat that was thought by some to be impossible, beating his rival, the Australian John Landy, to the record. Bannister went on to a career as a distinguished neurologist.
Food rationing ends in Britain.
Art and scienceJ.R.R. Tolkien publishes the first two parts of the Lord of the Rings trilogy: The Fellowship of the Ring and The Two Towers. Tolkien was an Oxford professor of Anglo-Saxon language and literature and drew on his scholarly interests in history, language and mythology to create the fictional land of Middle Earth where the books are set.
Williams Golding publishes, Lord of the Flies.