Queen Mary II
1 of 94 portraits of Queen Mary II
Queen Mary II
by Sir Peter Lely
oil on canvas, circa 1677
49 3/8 in. x 40 in. (1254 mm x 1019 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Mary II (1662-1694), Reigned with William III 1689-94. Sitter associated with 94 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir Peter Lely (1618-1680), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 842 portraits, Sitter in 19 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This portrait shows Mary at the age of fifteen, at the time of her marriage to William of Orange.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Ingamells, John, Later Stuart Portraits 1685-1714, 2009, p. 171
- Macleod, Catharine; Alexander, Julia Marciari, Painted Ladies: Women at the Court of Charles II, 2001 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 11 October 2001 to 6 January 2002), p. 183
- Ribeiro, Aileen, The Gallery of Fashion, 2000, p. 86
- Ribeiro, Aileen; Blackman, Cally, A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery, 2015, p. 104
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 416
Events of 1677back to top
Current affairsSpeech by George Villiers, Duke of Buckingham, arguing that the prolonged prorogation of the Cavalier Parliament rendered it dissolved, sends him and three others, including Philip Wharton, Baron Wharton, to the Tower.
Stadtholder, Prince William of Orange, marries Mary, daughter of James, Duke of York and Anne Hyde.