1 portrait of Alan Bennett
by Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda
colour print, 1992
13 5/8 in. x 11 5/8 in. (347 mm x 297 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Derry Moore, 12th Earl of Drogheda (1937-), Photographer. Artist of 45 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
This portraitback to top
Postcards on his mantelpiece include Howard Coster's 1937 photograph of W H Auden from the National Portrait Gallery's collection. One of 14 prints acquired from Derry Moore's 1993 twenty year retrospective.
Linked publicationsback to top
- National Portrait Gallery: 100 Portraits, p. 135
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 49
- Tremain, Rose (essay), BP Portrait Award 2010, 2010 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 24 June to 19 September 2010), p. 11
- Various contributors, National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain, 2014, p. 247
Events of 1992back to top
Current affairsThe Church of England votes narrowly in favour of the ordination of women priests. The first women priests were ordained in 1994, inspiring the popular sitcom The Vicar of Dibley.
John Major is forced to take the pound off the European Exchange Rate Mechanism after Black Wednesday, when currency dealers continued selling sterling despite a dramatic increase in interest rates. The event damaged the Conservative party's reputation irreparably.
Art and scienceThe long-running sitcom Absolutely Fabulous airs for the first time on the BBC starring Jennifer Saunders and Joanna Lumley as style-obsessed, middle-aged media luvvies Eddy and Patsy. June Whitfield played Eddy's mother, and Julia Sawalha her long-suffering daughter Saffy (or, 'sweetie darling').
InternationalMembers of the European Community sign the Maastricht Treaty leading to the creation of the European Union. The treaty led to the creation of the 'Euro' currency and its policy was based on a 'three pillars structure' concerned with: 1. Community. 2 . Foreign and Security Policy. 3. Criminal Matters.
At a referendum, Bosnia and Herzegovina vote to become a separate state from Yugoslavia. Civil war soon broke out.
Exhibitions and displays
- Out of the Shadows: Portraits by the Douglas Brothers
Until 28 January 2018