by Unknown photographer
daguerreotype, circa 1851
4 1/2 in. x 3 1/2 in. (114 mm x 89 mm)
Given by M.K. Lucas, 1927
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Robert Stephenson (1803-1859), Civil engineer; son of George Stephenson. Sitter in 12 portraits.
This portraitback to top
This daguerreotype may have been taken to assist John Lucas in his group portrait Conference of Engineers at the Menai Straits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Funnell, Peter (introduction); Marsh, Jan, A Guide to Victorian and Edwardian Portraits, 2011, p. 25
- Rogers, Malcolm, Camera Portraits, 1989 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 October 1989 - 21 January 1990), p. 27
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 587
Exhibitions and displays
- Women and the First World War
Until 25 October