by David Loggan
plumbago on vellum, 1676
5 1/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (129 mm x 108 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Isaac Barrow (1630-1677), Master of Trinity College, Cambridge. Sitter associated with 12 portraits.
Artistback to top
- David Loggan (1634-1692), Artist and engraver. Artist associated with 191 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Piper, David, Catalogue of Seventeenth Century Portraits in the National Portrait Gallery, 1625-1714, 1963, p. 19
- Rogers, Malcolm, Master Drawings from the National Portrait Gallery, 1993 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 5 August to 23 October 1994), p. 31
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 36
- Walker, Richard, Miniatures: 300 Years of the English Miniature, 1998, p. 41
Events of 1676back to top
Current affairsFollowing her recent arrival in England at the invitation of courtier Ralph Montagu, Hortense Mancini, Duchess of Mazarin, niece of Cardinal Mazarin, becomes the king's newest mistress.
Art and scienceOculist, William Briggs publishes, Ophthalmographia, an anatomical description of the eye, dedicating it to his patron, Ralph Montagu, Duke of Montagu.
Restoration comedy, The Plain-Dealer, by William Wycherley, is staged. Widely admired by his supportive friends, the play's innovative theatrical conventions confused audiences.