Queen Elizabeth II
15 of 918 portraits of Queen Elizabeth II
Queen Elizabeth II
by Edward Irvine Halliday
17 5/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (446 mm x 309 mm)
Given by the artist's daughter, Charlotte Halliday, 1993
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Edward Irvine Halliday (1902-1984), Portrait painter. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 201
Events of 1948back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles is born in Buckingham Palace; he is the first son of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of EdinburghThe Secretary of State for Health, Aneurin Bevan, introduces the National Health Service. Health services in Britain were now funded from central taxation and free at the point of use for every resident of the country.
Art and scienceThe First Morris Minor car designed by Alec Issigonis and his team (also responsible for the Mini) takes to the road, becoming a popular and classic English design.F.R. Leavis publishes his influential study of the English novel, The Great Tradition. The book set out Leavis's ideas on the proper relationship between literary form and moral concern.
InternationalThe policy of Apartheid is adopted in South Africa. Apartheid was a set of laws allowing racial segregation and discrimination against the black majority by the white ruling class.As part of the dispute between Western and Soviet controlled Berlin, the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin, cutting off supplies. Anxious to avoid a conflict, America, Britain and France responded by flying in food and other provisions.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Contemporary Portraits
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Celebration Chocolate Chip Shortbread Biscuits
- The Queen's 90th Birthday Tea Towel
- Queen Elizabeth II Bust