King George III
4 of 183 portraits of King George III
King George III
studio of Sir William Beechey
oil on canvas, circa 1800, based on a work of 1799-1800
30 1/4 in. x 25 1/2 in. (768 mm x 648 mm)
Bequeathed by Lloyd Tyrell-Kenyon, 5th Baron Kenyon, 1994
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King George III (1738-1820), Reigned 1760-1820. Sitter associated with 183 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Sir William Beechey (1753-1839), Portrait painter. Artist associated with 250 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Oli on canvas, c. 1800; a replica from the head of the full-length portrait at Buckingham Palace painted by Beechey for George III in 1799-1800; the King is shown in the uniform of the General. Bequeathed in 19994 by Lord Kenyon, for many years chairman of the trustees of the National Portrait Gallery.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Holmes, Richard; Crane, David; Woof, Robert; Hebron, Stephen, Romantics and Revolutionaries: Regency portraits from the National Portrait Gallery, 2002, p. 83
- Ingamells, John, National Portrait Gallery: Mid-Georgian Portraits 1760-1790, 2004, p. 194, 368
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 241
Events of 1799back to top
Current affairsThe Prince of Wales is reconciled with his secret wife Maria Fitzherbert.
Corresponding Societies Act is passed prohibiting certain named political groups including the radical London Corresponding Society and the United Irishmen.
Art and scienceThe Swiss artist Henry Fuseli, resident in England since 1778, is appointed Professor of Painting at the Royal Academy.
The conservative educator Hannah More publishes her Strictures on Female Education which criticised demands for women's rights while proposing an active role for them within religious and moral movements.
InternationalSuccessful defence of Acre in the Levant is led by William Sidney Smith.
British expedition to Holland, led by General Ralph Abercromby, ends in evacuation after allies defeated at Battle of Bergen-op-Zoom.
Fall of the ruling Directory in France. Napoleon seizes power.
The Rosetta Stone is discovered in Egypt.