King Charles I
12 of 334 portraits of King Charles I
King Charles I
by Unknown artist
oil on copper with 17 mica overlays, second half of 17th century
3 1/8 in. x 2 1/2 in. (79 mm x 64 mm) oval
Click on the links below to find out more:
This portraitback to top
This image of Charles I and the corresponding transparent overlays tell the story of his reign and death. It was one of the many objects made in the aftermath of his execution that honoured him as a holy martyr. The overlays are made of mica, a glass-like mineral. They are very fragile and have deteriorated over time.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 116
Mediaback to top
Events of 1651back to top
Current affairsCharles II, crowned King of Scotland, daringly invades England. His defeat at the Battle of Worcester by Oliver Cromwell permanently ends further military action against Parliament. Charles's escape from Worcester becomes legendary, as a fugitive, he seeks refuge for six weeks before finally fleeing to Normandy.
Art and scienceSocial philosopher, Thomas Hobbes, publishes his major work, Leviathan. Recognised as a cornerstone of western political philosophy, Hobbes's implication that the new political authority should be accepted, angering many exiled royalists.
InternationalHeaded by Chief Justice, Oliver St. John, a delegation is sent by the Rump Parliament to The Hague to negotiate a union between England and the Dutch Republic. The mission fails, principally over refusal by the Dutch to expel the exiled Stuart royal family from the country.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- Monarchs Ruler
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster