1 of 21 portraits of James Evershed Agate
by Edward John Burra
19 7/8 in. x 15 in. (505 mm x 381 mm) uneven
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- James Evershed Agate (1877-1947), Drama critic. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Ivor Brown (1891-1974), Drama critic and writer. Sitter associated with 10 portraits.
- St John Greer Ervine (1883-1971), Playwright and writer. Sitter in 16 portraits.
- Charles Langbridge Morgan (1894-1958), Novelist and dramatist. Sitter in 33 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Edward John Burra (1905-1976), Painter. Artist of 3 portraits, Sitter in 3 portraits.
This portraitback to top
The drawing is from a series of illustrations commissioned for The ABC of Theatre; it accompanied the following doggerel by Humbert Wolfe: 'E is for Ervine, Brown, Morgan and Agate looking patiently round for something to nag at.'
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 730