1 portrait of T.S. Eliot
by John Gay
vintage print, 1948
10 7/8 x 9 5/8 in. (276 x 244 mm)
Given by Max Macdonald Hastings, 1997
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- John Gay (1909-1999), Photographer. Artist of 279 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Intellectually demanding and stylistically innovative, Eliot is a writer of outstanding importance in modern English literature, and the author of The Waste Land (1922), Murder in the Cathedral (1935), Four Quartets (1944) and The Cocktail Party (1949). Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats (1939), a book of light verse, is the basis of the musical stage show, Cats. This portrait was taken by John Gay for a series of portraits of poets commissioned to accompany an article by Sir John Betjeman that was published in the Strand magazine in July 1948.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 199
Events of 1948back to top
Current affairsPrince Charles is born in Buckingham Palace; he is the first son of Princess Elizabeth and the Duke of EdinburghThe Secretary of State for Health, Aneurin Bevan, introduces the National Health Service. Health services in Britain were now funded from central taxation and free at the point of use for every resident of the country.
Art and scienceThe First Morris Minor car designed by Alec Issigonis and his team (also responsible for the Mini) takes to the road, becoming a popular and classic English design.F.R. Leavis publishes his influential study of the English novel, The Great Tradition. The book set out Leavis's ideas on the proper relationship between literary form and moral concern.
InternationalThe policy of Apartheid is adopted in South Africa. Apartheid was a set of laws allowing racial segregation and discrimination against the black majority by the white ruling class.As part of the dispute between Western and Soviet controlled Berlin, the Soviet Union blockades West Berlin, cutting off supplies. Anxious to avoid a conflict, America, Britain and France responded by flying in food and other provisions.
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Herbert Wells
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Igor Stravinsky
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Ludwig van Beethoven
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Barbara Hepworth
- Only Connect - installation video
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- John Gay - Portraits in print
- Checklist of John Gay photographs