William Ewart Gladstone
William Ewart Gladstone
by Elliott & Fry
chlorobromide print on cream card mount, 1887
11 5/8 in. x 8 7/8 in. (296 mm x 225 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- William Ewart Gladstone (1809-1898), Prime Minister and writer. Sitter associated with 315 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: Wales, Flintshire (sitter's home, Hawarden Castle, Hawarden, Flintshire, Wales)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry (20 January 2007 - 23 September 2007)
Events of 1887back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria celebrates her Golden Jubilee, marking 50 years of her reign.
In what becomes known as 'Bloody Sunday', or the Trafalgar Square Riot, the police attack a meeting of the Social Democratic Federation, led by among others) Elizabeth Reynolds, John Burns, Annie Besant and Robert Cunninghame-Graham, killing three and injuring more than 200 crowd members.
Art and scienceA Study in Scarlet, the first of Arthur Conan Doyle's detective mysteries featuring Sherlock Holmes and his assistant Dr Watson, is published. One of only four novels (there were a further 56 short stories) featuring Holmes, the mystery turns around the discovery of a corpse in Brixton.
The essayist and critic Walter Pater publishes Imaginary Portraits in which he consolidates his doctrine of Aestheticism, 'art for art's sake'.
InternationalBritain ratifies the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works, thus accepting the terms of the International Copyright Act (1886), which abolishes the requirement to register foreign works and introduces an exclusive right to import or produce translations.
The British annex Zululand; it becomes part of Natal in 1897.
Exhibitions and displays
- At the Despatch Box: Gladstone in Action
Until 6 August
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- The Beautiful and the Damned
- G.F Watts - Selected Letters
- WebQuest: Votes For Women
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus
- The Drawing Room: Caricature
31 July, 13:00