by Lady Ottoline Morrell
vintage snapshot print, June 1926
4 5/8 in. x 2 5/8 in. (116 mm x 68 mm) image size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Dame Helen Gardner Bequest, 2003
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Virginia Woolf (née Stephen) (1882-1941), Novelist and critic; sister of Vanessa Bell. Sitter in 63 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Lady Ottoline Morrell (1873-1938), Patron of the arts; half-sister of 6th Duke of Portland; wife of Philip Edward Morrell. Artist associated with 1699 portraits, Sitter associated with 595 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Spalding, Frances, Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 10 July 2014 - 26 October 2014), p. 133
Events of 1926back to top
Current affairsIn response to wage cuts and increased working hours for coal miners recommended by the Samuel Commission, the Trade Union Council calls a General Strike of workers in the key industries. Although over 1.5 million workers took part, the TUC finally gave in after nine days and called off the strike. The Trade Disputes and Trade Union Act of 1927 made it harder for workers to strike.
Art and scienceA.A. Milne publishes Winnie-the-Pooh. The series of popular children's books featured the character Christopher Robin (named after Milne's son) and a cast of animals based on his stuffed-toys including Winnie-the-Pooh, Piglet, Eeyore, Rabbit, Tigger, Kanga and Roo.The Murder of Roger Ackroyd is published. This was Agatha Christie's first 'whodunnit' story featuring Hecule Poirot, the Belgium Detective.
InternationalThe League of Nations accepts Germany as the sixth permanent member on the council deeming it a 'peace-loving country'. This confidence, however, was short lived with Germany leaving the League with the accession of Adolf Hitler to power in 1933.
Related shop items
- Vanity Fair Portraits catalogue (paperback)
- Virginia Woolf: Art, Life and Vision Catalogue (Paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- The Bloomsbury Group Companion
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Mini-print
- Virginia Woolf Fridge Magnet
- Virginia Woolf Cushion
- Virginia Woolf Bronze Bust
- Virginia Woolf Wild Horse Necklace
- Virginia Woolf by George Charles Beresford Postcards