George Frederic Watts
14 of 43 portraits of George Frederic Watts
George Frederic Watts
by John Watkins
albumen carte-de-visite, 1870s
3 3/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (85 mm x 58 mm) image size
Given by Algernon Graves, 1916
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- George Frederic Watts (1817-1904), Painter and sculptor. Sitter in 43 portraits, Artist associated with 91 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographer's studio, 34 Parliament Street, London)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
- G.F. Watts Portraits: Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society
- Collected Archives - T-Z
- The Watts Collection
- Watts handlist
- Room 26: Portraits by G.F. Watts
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Room 26: G.F. Watts Bicentenary
- Princes of Victorian Bohemia: Photographs by David Wilkie Wynfield
- Julia Margaret Cameron:
'Poets, prophets, painters and lovely maidens'
- The Beautiful and the Damned