King Richard III
9 of 24 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
sold by Sir Robert Peake, probably after William Faithorne
etching, early 1640s
4 1/4 in. x 3 in. (108 mm x 76 mm) plate size; 8 5/8 in. x 6 1/4 in. (219 mm x 160 mm) paper size
Purchased with help from the Friends of the National Libraries and the Pilgrim Trust, 1966
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1640back to top
Current affairsSecond Bishops' War. James Graham, Marquess of Montrose, leading the Scottish armies, occupies northeast of England. Defeat at the Battle of Newburn forces impoverished Charles to sign Treaty of Ripon. Long Parliament. Habeas Corpus Act is passed, abolishing the Star Chamber. Impeachment of Royalists, Earl of Strafford and Archbishop Laud.
Art and scienceAuthor, James Howell, writes Dodona's Grove, a historical allegory of events since 1603. A renowned royalist, Howell's anti-parliamentary remarks in the book would later attract accusations from parliamentarians. The last Caroline masque before the outbreak of civil war, Salmacida Spolia by Sir William Davenant, is performed at Whitehall Palace.
InternationalFrederick William becomes Elector of Brandenburg and Duke of Prussia. The Elector's policy of religious tolerance benefited his state during the religious struggles dominating the Thirty Years' War. The Bay Psalm Book is published, the first book to be printed in British North America.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards