King Richard III
6 of 25 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
by Jodocus Hondius, after Unknown artist
line engraving, published 1611
2 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. (65 mm x 65 mm) paper size
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1611back to top
Current affairsArchbishop of Canterbury, Richard Bancroft, dies and is succeeded by George Abbot. Abbot's attempts to unite the churches of Scotland and England in 1608, found favour with the king, probably assisting in his preferment to the archbishopric.
Art and scienceCartographer John Speed publishes the first comprehensive atlas of Great Britain. Under the patronage of James I, the King James Bible is published, the most famous English translation of the scriptures.Playwright Benjamin Jonson, with designs by Inigo Jones, stages his court masque, Oberon, at Whitehall Palace.
InternationalThe betrothal of the ten year old French king, Louis XIII, to the daughter of Philip III of Spain, the equally young Infanta, Anne, is agreed in the Treaty of Fontainebleau, cementing a political alliance between their two respective countries, whilst raising Protestant fears in England.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Monarchs Magnetic Set
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards