1 portrait on display in Room 28 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Alexander Bassano
albumen cabinet card, 1897
5 3/4 in. x 3 7/8 in. (145 mm x 98 mm) image size
Given by John Morton Morris, 2004
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Queen Victoria (1819-1901), Reigned 1837-1901. Sitter associated with 519 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Alexander Bassano (1829-1913), Photographer. Artist associated with 2801 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Along with her husband, Prince Albert, she was an early supporter of photography.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Alexander Bassano: Victorian Photographer (From 25 March 2013)
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1897back to top
Current affairsQueen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee is marked by a series of celebratory events, and attended by eleven colonial prime ministers following the Colonial Secretary Joseph Chamberlain's proposal that the Jubilee be made a festival of the British Empire. The Workmen's Compensation Act gives workmen a right to a limited compensation in every case of injury by accident arising from the course of employment; it is a landmark piece of legislation in employment law.
Art and scienceBram Stoker's Dracula is first published.Henry Tate of the Tate and Lyle sugar company donates his art collection to the nation, buying land and building a gallery space for it (now Tate Britain).Physician and psychologist Havelock Ellis publishes the first volume of his Studies in the Psychology of Sex, and the English physicist John Thompson discovers the existence of the electron.
InternationalThe burning of Benin city by Britain takes place, known also as the Punitive Exhibition of 1897. The excursion, led by Admiral Sir Harry Rawson, was a response to an attack by Benin warriors on a British delegation sent to settle a dispute over customs duties collected by British traders. During the expedition the British Admiralty destroyed much of the city's treasured art, including the Benin Bronzes, auctioning off the rest as war booty to recoup costs.
Related shop items
- Victoria & Albert Scarf
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- The World's Most Photographed catalogue (hardcover)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- A Guide to Victorian & Edwardian Portraits (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Moustaches,Whiskers & Beards
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- Queen Victoria Bust
- Queen Victoria Decoration
- The Queen & Prince Albert's Polka greetings card
- Kings and Queens of England Mug