6 of 10 portraits of Frederick William III, King of Prussia
by Benedetto Pistrucci
gutta-percha medal, 1849
5 3/8 in. x . (135 mm x ) diameter
Given by I. Goldsmith, 1874
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Alexander I, Tsar of Russia (1777-1825), Reigned 1801-25. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher (1742-1819), Prussian Field Marshal. Sitter in 7 portraits.
- Francis I, Emperor of Austria (1792-1835), Reigned 1806-35. Sitter associated with 8 portraits.
- Frederick William III, King of Prussia (1770-1840), Reigned 1797-1840. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- King George IV (1762-1830), Regent 1811-19; Reigned 1820-30. Sitter associated with 193 portraits.
- Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington (1769-1852), Field Marshal and Prime Minister. Sitter associated with 427 portraits.
Events of 1849back to top
Current affairsBenjamin Disraeli becomes Conservative leader in the House of Commons.Bedford College for Women is founded, following on from the foundation of Queen's College for Women the previous year.Henry Mayhew, the social researcher and reform advocate, begins publishing his extensive statistical survey into the living conditions of urban communities, London Labour and the London Poor in the Morning Chronicle.
Art and scienceWith the death of his father Johann Strauss the Elder, Johann Baptist Strauss, the Austrian violinist and composer combines his and his father's orchestra, becoming known as 'the Waltz King'. His famous waltzes include The Blue Danube (1867). Dante Gabriel Rossetti paints his sister, the poet Christina, in The Girlhood of Mary Virgin.
InternationalRome is briefly proclaimed a republic after the papal states are overthrown by Italian republicans. Napoleon's dependency on French Catholics leads him however to help restore papal authority. The restoration of Austrian military rule in Italy further darkens hopes of a self-ruling Italian nationhood. Communist riots are suppressed in Paris.
Related shop items
- Monarchs Ruler
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Wellington: Triumphs, Politics and Passions
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Duke of Wellington Bust
- Duke of Wellington Decoration
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- Prime Ministers Mug