1 portrait of Barbara Hepworth
by Walter Bird
bromide print on card mount, 14 October 1965
8 1/8 in. x 6 1/8 in. (205 mm x 156 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Dame Barbara Hepworth (1903-1975), Sculptor; second wife of Ben Nicholson. Sitter in 28 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
Artistback to top
- Walter Bird (1903-1969), Photographer. Artist associated with 1428 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Commissioning Photographs 1917-1970 (23 January 2006 - 4 June 2006)
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.
The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
- Mirror Mirror: Self-portraits by women artists
- John Hedgecoe: Portraits
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> Priaulx Rainier
- Only Connect - Barbara Hepworth <> T.S. Eliot
- Only Connect - installation video
- Commissioning Photographs 1917-1970
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- National Photographic Record