John Callcott Horsley
6 of 11 portraits of John Callcott Horsley
John Callcott Horsley
by Elliott & Fry
albumen carte-de-visite, 1870s
3 5/8 in. x 2 1/4 in. (91 mm x 58 mm) image size
Given by Katharine Ada Esdaile (née McDowall), 1932
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- John Callcott Horsley (1817-1903), Painter and Royal Academician. Sitter in 11 portraits, Artist associated with 10 portraits.
Placesback to top
- Place made: United Kingdom: England, London (photographers' studio, 55 Baker Street, Portman Square, London)
Events of 1870back to top
Current affairsWilliam Edward Forster's Education Act is passed, making provisions for education for all under-13s. It demonstrated the balance in Gladstone's first ministry between progressive reform and conservativism by spreading literacy, whilst maintaining the status of Church schools.
The Married Women's Property Act gives wives rights over their own earnings.
Art and scienceThe Russian composer Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky's fantasy-overture Romeo and Juliet, based on Shakespeare's play and written with the aid of composer Mily Balakirev, debuts in Moscow, conducted by Nikolai Rubenstein.
W. G. Grace becomes cricket captain of Gloucestershire, marking the start of a successful decade for the club in which they won three 'Champion County' titles.
InternationalIsaac Butt, an Irish MP at Westminster, forms the Home Rule Association.
The Franco-Prussian war breaks out between France and a coalition of German states led by Prussia. Provoked by the candidacy of German Prince Leopold Hohenzollen-Sigmaringen for the Spanish throne, France declared war in July after Bismark published the deliberately provocative Ems telegraph, in which the French were represented in an offensive light on the issue.
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Athletes and Olympians
- Walter Benington: Pictorial portraits
- Victorian Photographs by Elliott and Fry
- Photographic holdings - print and negative collections
- Learn more
- Photographic holdings - Albums 163-228
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
- Thomas Hardy
- Reaching for the stars: Astronomers in focus