1 of 66 portraits of T.S. Eliot
by Powys Evans
watercolour, circa 1920
22 7/8 in. x 14 5/8 in. (580 mm x 370 mm)
Given by Michael Meredith, 2006
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Powys Evans (1899-1981), 'Quiz'; caricaturist. Artist associated with 99 portraits, Sitter associated with 1 portrait.
Events of 1920back to top
Current affairsThe Government of Ireland Act (Fourth Home Rule Bill) partitions Ireland into the Irish Free State with a devolved parliament in Dublin and Northern Ireland with a devolved parliament in Belfast.The Communist Party of Great Britain is founded in London, uniting a number of independent socialist and Marxist parties into a single, united party.
Art and scienceQueen Alexandra unveils a monument to Edith Cavell in St Martin's Place opposite the National Portrait Gallery. The English nurse was executed in Germany for helping hundreds of allied soldiers to cross the border from occupied Belgium to the neutral Netherlands.George V officially opens the Imperial War Museum at the Crystal Palace.
InternationalThe Kapp Putsch threatens the newly formed Weimar Republic. In defiance of the Treaty of Versailles, the leaders of the Marinebrigade Ehrhardt refused to disband and marched on Berlin, occupying it on the 13th March. With the general army refusing to defend the city, the government fled to Stuttgart. The rebellion, however, failed after the workers joined a general strike, disabling their plans.
- Bloomsbury and Beyond
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Herbert Wells
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Igor Stravinsky
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Ludwig van Beethoven
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Sir Michael Tippett
- Only Connect - T.S. Eliot <> Barbara Hepworth
- Only Connect
- Only Connect - installation video
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection