King Charles I and his adherents
3 of 23 portraits of Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland
King Charles I and his adherents
published by Samuel Speed, after Sir Anthony Van Dyck, and after Unknown artists
line engraving, published circa 1663-1669
10 1/2 in. x 6 3/4 in. (267 mm x 171 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel (1604-1649), Writer, royalist and politician; MP for Hertfordshire. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon (1610?-1643), Courtier and royalist. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 334 portraits.
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (1607-1651), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Liverpool. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland (1610-1643), Courtier. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- Sir Bevil Grenville (1596-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Cornwall and Launceston. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- John Hewit (Hewett) (1614-1658), Royalist divine; chaplain to Charles I. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton of Stratton (1596-1652), Royalist general and politician; MP for Shaftesbury, Bath, Somerset and Wells. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Robert Pierrepont (Pierrepoint), 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1584-1643), Royalist Lieutenant-General and politician; MP for Nottinghamshire. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- William Laud (1573-1645), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
- Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Lindsey (1582-1642), Admiral. Sitter in 24 portraits.
- Sir George Lisle (circa 1610-1648), Royalist leader and martyr. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Charles Lucas (1613-1648), Soldier and royalist commander. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose (1612-1650), Soldier. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- Spencer Compton, 2nd Earl of Northampton (1601-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Ludlow. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- George Goring, Earl of Norwich (1583?-1663), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Lewes. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford (1593-1641), Statesman. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Lord Bernard Stuart (1622-1645), 'Earl of Lichfield' and royalist Army Officer. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Henry Somerset, 1st Marquess of Worcester (1577-1646). Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Events of 1663back to top
Current affairsGilbert Sheldon is enthroned as Archbishop of Canterbury upon the death of William Juxon. Sheldon principle concerns would be defence of the church, coupled with religious uniformity and ecclesiastical reform. England experiences a very cold, wet summer, as noted by Samuel Pepys in his diary.
Art and scienceJohn Dryden's first play, The Wild Gallant, is staged at court probably through the influence of Barbara Palmer, Countess of Castlemaine, the king's mistress.
InternationalA renewal of the English colonisation of North America is marked by a royal charter naming eight aristocrats joint owners of a projected colony in Carolina. Known as the Lords Proprietors of Carolina, they are informally led by Anthony Ashley-Cooper, Earl of Shaftesbury.
- The Drawing Room: Contemporary Galleries
27 February, 13:00