King Charles I and his adherents
4 of 21 portraits of Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel
King Charles I and his adherents
after Sir Anthony van Dyck, and after Unknown artists
line engraving, 1660s
11 5/8 in. x 7 1/2 in. (294 mm x 191 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford, 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Sittersback to top
- Arthur Capel, 1st Baron Capel (1604-1649), Writer, royalist and politician; MP for Hertfordshire. Sitter associated with 21 portraits.
- Robert Dormer, 1st Earl of Carnarvon (1610?-1643), Courtier and royalist. Sitter in 18 portraits.
- King Charles I (1600-1649), Reigned 1625-49. Sitter associated with 332 portraits.
- James Stanley, 7th Earl of Derby (1607-1651), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Liverpool. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
- Lucius Cary, 2nd Viscount Falkland (1610-1643), Courtier. Sitter associated with 23 portraits.
- Sir Bevil Grenville (1596-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Cornwall and Launceston. Sitter in 19 portraits.
- James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Hamilton (1606-1649), Royalist leader and politician. Sitter associated with 42 portraits.
- John Hewit (Hewett) (1614-1658), Royalist divine; chaplain to Charles I. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- Ralph Hopton, 1st Baron Hopton of Stratton (1596-1652), Royalist general and politician; MP for Shaftesbury, Bath, Somerset and Wells. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Robert Pierrepont (Pierrepoint), 1st Earl of Kingston-upon-Hull (1584-1643), Royalist lieutenant-general and politician; MP for Nottinghamshire. Sitter in 12 portraits.
- William Laud (1573-1645), Archbishop of Canterbury. Sitter associated with 61 portraits.
- Robert Bertie, 1st Earl of Lindsey (1582-1642), Admiral. Sitter in 21 portraits.
- Sir George Lisle (circa 1610-1648), Royalist leader and martyr. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- Sir Charles Lucas (1613-1648), Soldier and royalist commander. Sitter in 13 portraits.
- James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose (1612-1650), Soldier. Sitter associated with 36 portraits.
- William Cavendish, 1st Duke of Newcastle-upon-Tyne (baptised 1593-1676), Writer, diplomat, courtier, royalist army officer and politician. Sitter associated with 37 portraits.
- Spencer Compton, 2nd Earl of Northampton (1601-1643), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Ludlow. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- George Goring, Earl of Norwich (1583?-1663), Royalist soldier and politician; MP for Lewes. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Prince Rupert, Count Palatinate (1619-1682), Soldier and patron of science; Son of Frederick V, Elector Palatine and King of Bohemia and Elizabeth of Bohemia. Sitter associated with 45 portraits, Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Thomas Wentworth, 1st Earl of Strafford (1593-1641), Statesman. Sitter associated with 109 portraits.
- Lord Bernard Stuart (1622-1645), 'Earl of Lichfield' and royalist Army Officer. Sitter associated with 13 portraits.
- Henry Somerset, 1st Marquess of Worcester (1577-1646). Sitter associated with 9 portraits.
Exhibitions and displays
- Cornelius Johnson: Charles I’s Forgotten Painter
Until 13 September
- Artists in the Frame: Self-Portraits by Van Dyck and Others
Until 31 August