1 portrait of Paul McCartney
by Harry Goodwin
resin print from original negative, 10 April 1965
Given by Harry Goodwin, 2006
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir (James) Paul McCartney (1942-), Musician and member of The Beatles and Wings. Sitter in 55 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Harry Goodwin (1924-2013), Photographer. Artist of 10 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
Placesback to top
- Place made and portrayed: United Kingdom: England, London (Riverside Studios, Hammersmith, London)
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- The Beatles on the Balcony (5 July 2006 - 22 October 2006)
Events of 1965back to top
Current affairsSir Winston Churchill dies after suffering a stroke at the age of 90. By Royal Decree his body lay in state for three days before he was given a State Funeral (a very rare honour for a non-Royal). Representatives from over 100 countries attended the funeral and thousands of people watched the procession of his coffin down the Thames.
Art and scienceJulie Christie stars in John Schlesinger's film Darling, a film that captures fashionable London in the 1960s, while critiquing the superficiality of the jet-setting society. The film has subsequently been itself criticised for being out-of-touch with the realities of the day.
The Post Office Tower (now the BT tower) opens for use, housing microwave aerials to carry telecommunications traffic from London.
InternationalPresident Johnson sends US troops to assist South Vietnam against communist North Vietnam and domestic nationalist insurgents. Johnson's plan for a short, limited war was soon quashed by North Vietnam's strategy of protracted war. As the conflict dragged on the US government instituted a draft, sparking anti-war protests that would continue until American involvement ended in 1973.
- Live Music: Maria-Christina & The 7 Pedals
22 September, 18:30
- Live Music: Cerian
29 September, 18:30
- Live Music: Laura Zakian & Steve Lodder
6 October, 18:30
- Live Music: Alice Phelps Band
13 October, 18:30
- Live Music: Sara Minelli
20 October, 18:30
- Live Music: Ignite: Wigmore Hall
27 October, 18:30
- Live Music: Shirley Smart and Kourosh Kanani
3 November, 18:30
- Live Music: Anne Pigalle
10 November, 18:30
- Live Music: EFG London Jazz Festival: Heidi Vogel
17 November, 18:30