1 portrait on display in Room 33 at the National Portrait Gallery
by Madame Yevonde
colour dye transfer print, 1936
19 in. x 12 1/2 in. (484 mm x 317 mm) uneven
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistback to top
- Madame Yevonde (1893-1975), Photographer. Artist associated with 320 portraits, Sitter in 8 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Yevonde was at the peak of her success when this image of Leigh was made. The previous year she had held An Intimate Exhibition: Goddesses and Others at her premises in Berkeley Square. She continued to use the innovative Vivex Carbro colour process fulfilling her own dictum, 'Be original or die' until the outbreak of the Second World War.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Gibson, Robert; Roberts, Pam, Madame Yevonde: Colour, Fantasy & Myth, 1990 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 20 July - 1 October 1990), p. 63
- Saywell, David; Simon, Jacob, Complete Illustrated Catalogue, 2004, p. 375
Events of 1936back to top
Current affairsFollowing the death of his father George V, Edward succeeds to the throne as King Edward VIII, but chooses to abdicate in order to marry the American divorcee, Wallis Simpson. Edward was the only monarch every to voluntarily relinquish the throne.
Art and scienceThe Spitfire, designed by Reginald Mitchell, has its maiden flight. The RAF and other allied forces used the plane extensively and to great effect during the Second World War.Television broadcasting begins. Although the BBC had been transmitting television since 1930, regular service did not begin until 1936, when the 'BBC Television Service' (now BBC One) was broadcast from Alexandra Palace.
InternationalThe Spanish Civil War begins. Nationalists, led by General Francisco Franco, and supported by Italian and German fascist governments, rebelled against the Second Spanish Republic. The conflict lasted until 1939, and anticipated many of the features of the Second World War: fighting between Communists and Fascists, the rise of nationalism and the use of terror tactics against civilians.
Exhibitions and displays
- A Century of Photography, 1840-1940
Until 1 October 2017
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Cats In Portraits Postcard Pack
- Film Stars Postcard Pack
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Pets in Portraits
- Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh greetings card
- Laurence Olivier and Vivien Leigh mini-print
- Madame Yevonde Quote Mini-canvas
- Madame Yevonde Quote Mini-print
- Madame Yevonde Quote Fridge Magnet
- Madame Yevonde Quote Tea Towel
- Madame Yevonde Quote Coaster