King Richard III
King Richard III
probably by William Derby, after Unknown artist
pencil, pen and ink, July 1835 (late 15th century)
9 in. x 7 1/4 in. (230 mm x 185 mm)
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1835back to top
Current affairsLord Melbourne, Whig, becomes Prime Minister following Peel's resignation. Melbourne's government took steps to suppress trade union activity, introducing legislation against 'illegal oaths', contributing to the failure of Robert Owen's Grand National Consolidated Trades' Union.
Art and scienceFelix Dujardin, the French biologist, reveals protoplasm. Work on the enlargement and remodelling of Buckingham House to designs by the architect John Nash is completed, creating Buckingham Palace.
InternationalJuan Manuel de Rosas becomes dictator of Argentina, invoking a seventeen year rule dominated by terror. A powerful cattle rancher, he represents the rise of the estancieros, the new landed oligarchy based on commercial ranching.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 31 December
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards