© National Portrait Gallery, London
Sir Ralph Abercromby
by Henry Bone, after John Hoppner Click on the links below to find out more
pencil drawing squared in ink for transfer, 1808 (1798)
6 1/8 in. x 5 1/2 in. (155 mm x 139 mm)
acquired Sir George Scharf, 1890
- Henry Bone (1755-1834), Enamel painter. Artist associated with 677 portraits, Sitter in 6 portraits.
- John Hoppner (1758-1810), Painter. Artist associated with 214 portraits, Sitter in 13 portraits.
- NPG 1538: Sir Ralph Abercromby (based on same portrait)
- NPG D17763: Sir Ralph Abercromby (variant version)
- NPG D17340: Sir Ralph Abercromby (variant version)
The 'Mary Anne Clarke affair' erupts in which Clarke, mistress of Frederick, Duke of York, was said to have used her influence with him to run a military promotions racket. Championed by radical government opponents, it ends in the Duke's resignation as Commander-in-Chief of the army.
Art and science
Sculptor John Flaxman begins Nelson memorial for St Paul's.Richard Trevithick demonstrates model railway travelling at 12 mph.
After taking Portugal, Napoleon invades Spain, deposes the Spanish Bourbon monarchy and appoints his brother Joseph as the new King. ThePeninsular War then begins under Sir John Moore and Arthur Wellesley, later Duke of Wellington, aiming to protect Portugal and exploit Iberian hatred of French tyranny.