© Eugene and Willa Watson / National Portrait Gallery, London
The Smiths (Andy Rourke; Johnny Marr; Morrissey; Mike Joyce)
by Eric Watson Click on the links below to find out more
bromide print, 1984
13 3/4 in. x 13 3/4 in. (350 mm x 350 mm)
Given by Eric Watson, 1999
- Mike Joyce (1963-), Musician; drummer for The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Johnny Marr (1963-), Musician; member of The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Morrissey (Steven Patrick Morrissey) (1959-), Musician and singer and songwriter for 'The Smiths'. Sitter in 9 portraits.
- Andy Rourke (1963-), Musician; member of The Smiths. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Eric Watson (1955-2012), Photographer, director and teacher. Artist of 35 portraits.
The Provisional IRA bomb the Grand Hotel in Brighton where various politicians, including the Prime Minister, where staying for the annual Conservative Party conference. The bomb killed five people including a conservative MP, but no members of the cabinet. Thatcher began the next session of the conference the following morning at 9.30 as planned saying: 'all attempts to destroy democracy by terrorism will fail.'
Art and science
Dr Alec Jeffreys discovers that patterns in an individual's DNA can be identified and that each person has a unique 'genetic fingerprint'. The technique was soon utilised by forensic scientists to help in criminal investigations, and in order to identify human remains, for paternity testing, and to match organ donors.Ted Hughes is appointed poet Laureate.
Ethiopia suffers severe drought and famine. The Ethiopian government responded by uprooting large numbers of peasants in the worst affected areas and by setting up new villages for the displaced people. However, the planned villages were frequently poorly equipped and many people chose to flee rather than acquiesce with government plans leading to further decline in food production and bringing the total death toll to over 1 million.