Sir Robert Dudley
2 of 2 portraits of Sir Robert Dudley
Sir Robert Dudley
by Joseph Brown, after George Perfect Harding, after Nicholas Hilliard
stipple engraving, mid 19th century
12 1/2 in. x 8 7/8 in. (316 mm x 227 mm) plate size; 15 in. x 11 3/8 in. (382 mm x 288 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1869
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Robert Dudley (1574-1649), Mariner and landowner. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Brown (1809-1887), Engraver. Artist associated with 167 portraits.
- George Perfect Harding (1779 or 1780-1853), Portrait painter, copyist and antiquary. Artist associated with 171 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 34 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July