Sir Robert Dudley
2 of 2 portraits of Sir Robert Dudley
Sir Robert Dudley
by Joseph Brown, after George Perfect Harding, after Nicholas Hilliard
stipple engraving, mid 19th century
12 1/2 in. x 8 7/8 in. (316 mm x 227 mm) plate size; 15 in. x 11 3/8 in. (382 mm x 288 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1869
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir Robert Dudley (1574-1649), Mariner and landowner. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Joseph Brown (1809-1887), Engraver. Artist associated with 167 portraits.
- George Perfect Harding (1779 or 1780-1853), Portrait painter, copyist and antiquary. Artist associated with 171 portraits, Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Nicholas Hilliard (1547-1619), Miniature painter. Artist associated with 34 portraits.
Events of 1830back to top
Current affairsGeorge IV dies at Windsor on 26 June; William IV succeeds to the throne.
Duke of Wellington resigns as Prime Minister to be succeeded by Earl Grey.
'Captain Swing' disturbances among agricultural districts in southern England. Taking their name from a mythical leader, hundreds of labourers break the threshing machines that threaten their winter employment.
Art and scienceLiverpool and Manchester Railway opens; MP William Huskisson is run down by a train and killed at the inaugural ceremony.
William Cobbett publishes Rural Rides; a nostalgic tribute to the English countryside which expresses dismay at the sweeping changes taking place.
InternationalJuly Revolution in France overthrows the Bourbon dynasty. Charles X goes into exile in England and Louis Philippe, Duc d'Orleans is proclaimed King by the Chamber of Deputies who fear European opposition to the declaration of a second Republic.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July