12 of 15 portraits of Shute Barrington
by Charles Turner, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
mezzotint, published 1817
21 7/8 in. x 16 in. (556 mm x 407 mm) plate size; 23 in. x 17 1/4 in. (584 mm x 439 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1949
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
Events of 1817back to top
Current affairsPrincess Charlotte, only daughter of George, Prince Regent and Caroline of Brunswick, dies in childbirth, prompting widespread mourning.
Seditious Meetings Bill drives democratic societies underground.
Rising depression and discontent; Prince Regent's coach attacked at state opening of Parliament.
Art and scienceJohn Keats begins to write his epic poem Endymion on the Isle of Wight; a rite of passage as a professional poet after deserting his medical career.
John Constable exhibits Flatford Mill, one of his most famous naturalistic landscape paintings, at the Royal Academy
John Rennie's new Waterloo Bridge opens.
InternationalJournalist William Cobbett flees to America fearing prosecution. Already imprisoned for two years for seditious libel he grew more vehemently pro-reform on his release and reduced the price of his weekly periodical the Political Register to expand its circulation and influence to all classes.
James Monroe is elected President of the United States.
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- 2. Lawrence at work
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Party Trail
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Portrait of the Day: Sir Samuel Romilly
28 September, 12:30