9 of 11 portraits of Edward Jenner
by James Henry Lynch, printed by Kell Brothers, published by Charles Heald Thomas, after Sir Thomas Lawrence
lithograph, circa 1827 (circa 1809)
20 1/2 in. x 14 3/4 in. (522 mm x 374 mm) paper size
acquired unknown source, 1959
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Edward Jenner (1749-1823), Surgeon; discoverer of vaccination. Sitter in 11 portraits.
Artistsback to top
- Kell Brothers (active mid-late 19th century), Lithographic printers. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
- Sir Thomas Lawrence (1769-1830), Portrait painter, collector and President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 684 portraits, Sitter in 25 portraits.
- James Henry Lynch (active 1815-died 1868), Lithographer and painter. Artist associated with 44 portraits.
- Charles Heald Thomas (active mid 19th century), Bookseller and publisher. Artist associated with 1 portrait.
Events of 1827back to top
Current affairsLord Liverpool suffers a stroke and is forced to resign as Prime Minister. George Canning succeeds him only to die after four months in office.
Art and scienceUniversity College London, the first metropolitan university in England, is founded specifically to educate dissenters excluded from Oxford and Cambridge. Whig politician Henry Brougham, writer Thomas Campbell and financier and philanthropist Isaac Goldsmid are its principal patrons.
InternationalBritain, France and Russia sign a treaty in London agreeing to intervene in the Greek War of Independence. Allied troops under General Edward Codrington subsequently destroy Turkish and Egyptian fleets at the Battle of Navarino.Western Australia is explored for the first time by Captain Stirling.
- Thomas Lawrence: Regency Power and Brilliance minisite
- Thomas Lawrence and picture framing
- Director’s Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Thomas Lawrence Portraits
- Collected Archives - J-M
- My Favourite Portrait by Jeremy Paxman
- 18th Century and Regency Portraits
- 2. Lawrence at work
- Bronze sculpture founders: a short history
- Portrait of the Day: Caroline of Brunswick
10 December, 12:30