The Alma-Tadema Banquet
5 of 19 portraits of Sir Alfred Edward East
The Alma-Tadema Banquet
by Fradelle & Young
carbon print on card mount, 4 November 1899
8 7/8 in. x 12 3/8 in. (227 mm x 315 mm) image size
Given by widow of Mary Anderson's son, Dorothy de Navarro, 1983
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema (1836-1912), Painter. Sitter in 35 portraits, Artist associated with 5 portraits.
- Robert Stephenson Smyth Baden-Powell, 1st Baron Baden-Powell (1857-1941), Major-General and founder of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides. Sitter associated with 39 portraits.
- George Henry Boughton (1833-1905), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Joseph William Comyns Carr (1849-1916), Critic and dramatist, gallery director and theatre manager. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir George Clausen (1852-1944), Painter. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 2 portraits.
- John Collier (1850-1934), Portrait painter and writer on art. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 21 portraits.
- Walter Crane (1845-1915), Illustrator, designer, painter and socialist. Sitter in 17 portraits.
- Sir Francis Bernard ('Frank') Dicksee (1853-1928), Painter and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 17 portraits, Artist associated with 36 portraits.
- Sir Alfred Edward East (1844-1913), Painter and etcher. Sitter associated with 19 portraits.
- (Edward) Onslow Ford (1852-1901), Sculptor. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist associated with 8 portraits.
- Sir George James Frampton (1860-1928), Sculptor and craftsman. Sitter in 13 portraits, Artist of 3 portraits.
- William Temple Franks (1863-1926), Comptroller-General of Patents, Designs and Trade Marks. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Edward John Gregory (1850-1909), Painter in oils and watercolour. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Arthur Hacker (1858-1919), Painter. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Sir George Henschel (Isidor Georg Henschel) (1850-1934), Singer and musician; founder and conductor of London Symphony concerts. Sitter in 11 portraits.
- Colin Hunter (1841-1904), Painter. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Sir James John Trevor Lawrence, 2nd Bt (1831-1913), President Royal Horticultural Society. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- Benjamin Williams Leader (ne Benjamin Williams) (1831-1923), Landscape painter. Sitter in 6 portraits.
- (Wilhelm Augustus) Rudolf Lehmann (1819-1905), Genre and portrait painter. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 11 portraits.
- Sir George Henry Lewis, 1st Bt (1833-1911), Solicitor. Sitter in 10 portraits.
- John Seymour Lucas (1849-1923), Historical and portrait painter. Sitter in 7 portraits, Artist associated with 6 portraits.
- John Alexander Fuller Maitland (1856-1936), Music critic. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Francis Davis Millet (1846-1912), Painter and writer. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Antonio Fernando de Navarro (circa 1861-1932), Barrister; husband of Mary Anderson. Sitter in 4 portraits.
- Alfred William Parsons (1847-1920), Landscape painter, illustrator and garden designer. Sitter in 5 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Briton Riviere (1840-1920), Painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- James Sant (1820-1916), Painter. Sitter in 15 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- John Singer Sargent (1856-1925), Portrait and landscape painter and muralist. Sitter in 4 portraits, Artist associated with 72 portraits.
- (John) Byam Liston Shaw (1872-1919), Painter and illustrator. Sitter in 1 portrait, Artist associated with 2 portraits.
- Solomon Joseph Solomon (1860-1927), Painter; pioneer of camouflage techniques. Sitter in 9 portraits, Artist associated with 12 portraits.
- Marion Harry Spielmann (1858-1948), Art historian. Sitter in 8 portraits.
- Sir Henry Thompson, 1st Bt (1820-1904), Surgeon. Sitter in 10 portraits, Artist of 1 portrait.
- Sir (William) Hamo Thornycroft (1850-1925), Sculptor; son of Thomas Thornycroft and Mary Thornycroft. Sitter in 14 portraits, Artist of 4 portraits.
- Sir Aston Webb (1849-1930), Architect and President of the Royal Academy. Sitter in 14 portraits.
This portraitback to top
In 1899, Sir Lawrence Alma-Tadema's contribution to the British art world was acknowledged with a knighthood. He is pictured standing at the top table, to the left here, at a celebratory banquet held in his honour at the Whitehall Rooms, Hotel Metropole, London. With about 180 guests, almost every significant late nineteenth-century artist was present. Alma-Tadema remarked that 'without the approval of the brethren the honour would lose nearly all its attraction', exemplifying the emphasis he placed on his personal relationships. He was awarded the Order of Merit in 1905.
Linked displays and exhibitionsback to top
- Artist and Evangelist: Lives Remembered (14 August 2012 - 24 March 2013)
- Robert Baden-Powell
- Recent acquisition: John Collier: An Artist at Work
- Later Victorian Portraits Catalogue
- Fernando Meacci
- Letter from Sir George Henschel - 17 September 1917
- Letter from Sir George Henschel - 27 April 1917
- Letter from Sir George Henschel - 12 April 1917
- Photographic holdings - prints Collections
- Collected Archives - N-S
- Artist - Sargent
- Born in 1856
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection