by Howard Coster
vintage print on card mount, 1930
6 3/4 in. x 10 in. (172 mm x 255 mm) image size
Given by the estate of Howard Coster, 1978
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- Sir (John) Bernard Partridge (1861-1945), Cartoonist and illustrator. Sitter in 20 portraits, Artist associated with 91 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Howard Coster (1885-1959), Photographer. Artist associated with 9346 portraits, Sitter in 5 portraits.
Events of 1930back to top
Current affairsAmy Johnson is the first woman to fly solo to Australia. She flew the 11,000 miles from Croydon to Darwin in a De Havilland Gipsy Moth named Jason and won the Harmon Trophy as well as a CBE for her achievement. She went on to break a number of other flying records, and died while serving in the Air Transport Auxiliary in 1941.
Art and scienceNoel Coward's play, Private Lives is first performed. The original run starred Gertrude Lawrence and Laurence Olivier as well as Coward himself. Private Lives became Coward's most enduringly successful play.
InternationalGandhi leads the Salt March. The march to the coast was a direct protest against the British monopoly on the sale of salt and inspired hordes of Indians to follow him and adopt his methods of Satyagraha (non-violent resistance to the British rule of India).Stalin orders the 'liquidation of the kulaks (wealthy farmers) as a class' in a violent attempt to centralise control of agriculture and collectivise farming.
- Photographic holdings - Albums 1-75
- Learn more
- Shakespeare: Stage and Screen
- Photographic holdings - print collections
- Collected Archives - C-D
- My Favourite Portrait by Fergus Greer
- In Close Up: Laurence Olivier
- Margot Asquith: A Modern Woman
The Lure of the Limelight James Abbe,
Photographer of Cinema and Stage
- Reviewers Revealed: Celebrating the TLS Centenary
- Handlist of names in the Reference Collection - M-Z
- Only Connect - installation video
- Only Connect
- Born in 1856