King Richard III
16 of 25 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
by George Vertue
line engraving, 1732
11 1/2 in. x 7 1/2 in. (292 mm x 192 mm) plate size; 12 1/8 in. x 7 3/4 in. (307 mm x 197 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Artistback to top
- George Vertue (1683-1756), Engraver and antiquary. Artist associated with 852 portraits, Sitter in 7 portraits.
Events of 1732back to top
Current affairsSecession Church formed in Scotland.Widespread fraud and abuses in the customs service revealed. Prime Minister Robert Walpole responds with the Excise scheme, under which the tariff on wine and tobacco is to be replaced by an excise tax. British Hat Act limits manufacturing in the British colonies, forcing colonists to buy imported British-made goods.
Art and scienceFrederick, Prince of Wales attends a fancy-dress ball at Vauxhall Gardens, initiating its supremacy as London's most fashionable meeting place.William Hogarth produces the first prints of A Harlot's Progress, having completed the painted series the previous year. The original Covent Garden Theatre Royal (now the Royal Opera House) opens.
InternationalAustrian composer Franz Joseph Haydn is born.Georgia in the American colonies is granted to a group of British philanthropists, to give debtors a new start in life.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards