Warwick and Clarence
3 of 3 portraits of George, Duke of Clarence
Warwick and Clarence
after Unknown artist
etching, possibly early 19th century
15 1/2 in. x 9 1/2 in. (394 mm x 241 mm) plate size; 19 3/8 in. x 12 1/8 in. (493 mm x 307 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sittersback to top
- Isabel (née Neville), Duchess of Clarence (1451-1477), Wife of George, Duke of Clarence; daughter of Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- George, Duke of Clarence (1449-1478), Brother of Edward IV. Sitter in 3 portraits.
- Henry Beauchamp, Duke of Warwick (1425-1446), Magnate. Sitter in 1 portrait.
- Richard Neville, 16th Earl of Warwick and 6th Salisbury (1428-1471), Landowner. Sitter in 5 portraits.
- Anne Neville (née Beauchamp), Countess of Warwick and Salisbury (1426-1492), Daughter of 13th Earl of Warwick; wife of 16th Earl of Warwick and 6th Earl of Salisbury. Sitter associated with 2 portraits.
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1800back to top
Current affairsWidespread food riots after poor harvests of 1798-9. Theorist, Thomas Malthus, controversially argues that poverty and food shortages are an inevitable consequence of population growth, challenging assumptions that populousness was a sign of national prosperity and power. His thesis contributed forcefully to the debate over the existing Poor Law.
Art and scienceWilliam Wordsworth publishes his Preface to the Lyrical Ballads; a retrospective explanation of his experimental poems written with Samuel Taylor Coleridge. It becomes one of the best-known manifestos of Romantic literature.
InternationalLord Castlereagh, Chief Secretary for Ireland, is the main architect of the Act of Union under which Ireland is merged with Great Britain and the Irish parliament is abolished.
British troops support successful uprising by Maltese against the French.
Napoleon is victorious against Austrians at Marengo and reconquers Italy.
Exhibitions and displays
- Life, Death and Memory
Until 4 February 2018
- Portrait of the Day: Angela Georgina Burdett
26 October, 12:30
- Portrait of the Day: Henry VIII & Katherine of Aragon
28 October, 12:30