King Richard III
8 of 24 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
by Renold or Reginold Elstrack (Elstracke)
line engraving, 1638
7 1/8 in. x 4 1/2 in. (181 mm x 114 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Renold or Reginold Elstrack (Elstracke) (1570-in or after 1625), Engraver. Artist associated with 149 portraits.
Events of 1638back to top
Current affairsAmid turmoil in Scotland against Charles I's attempt to impose an episcopalian system of church government and Book of Common Prayer, theologian Alexander Henderson and politician Archibald Johnston of Wariston, defiantly draw up a new national covenant, whereby its signatories reaffirm their Presbyterian discipline.
Art and sciencePolitical agitator, John Lilburne, is imprisoned for distributing unlicensed satirical pamphlets against episcopacy. Luminalia by dramatist Sir William Davenant, is performed by Queen Henrietta Maria and her Ladies-in-Waiting. With designs by Inigo Jones, it was one of the last and most spectacular masques staged at the Stuart Court.
InternationalLord High Chancellor Oxenstierna, head of the regency council ruling Sweden until the young Queen Kristina came of age, agrees the Treaty of Hamburg, renewing Sweden's alliance with France. Under its terms, in exchange for financial assistance from France, Sweden continued its military contribution in the Thirty years' War.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards