King Richard III
15 of 24 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
by Sébastien Pinssio, after J. Robert
line engraving, mid 18th century
5 3/4 in. x 4 1/4 in. (146 mm x 107 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 24 portraits.
Artistsback to top
Events of 1730back to top
Current affairsJohn and Charles Wesley form a Holy Club at Oxford which becomes the cradle of Methodism.Glasite sect, which promoted a form of primitive Christianity, established in Scotland by John Glas.Last native roe deer in England is reputedly killed in Northumberland.
Art and scienceFrench sculptor Louis-Francois Roubiliac settles in London from Paris. The Daily Advertiser is established as the first newspaper funded by advertising.Mathematician and inventor John Hadley invents the octant, a navigating device which precedes the sextant.
InternationalFrederick, Crown Prince of Prussia, tries to flee to Britain but is imprisoned by his father Frederick William I.Pope Clement XII succeeds Benedict XIII as the 246th pope. Swedish astronomer Anders Celsius observes the aurora borealis and suggests the existence of the earth's magnetic field.
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards