King Richard III
13 of 25 portraits of King Richard III
King Richard III
line engraving, probably 18th century
2 3/4 in. x 2 7/8 in. (69 mm x 74 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Richard III (1452-1485), Reigned 1483-85. Sitter associated with 25 portraits.
Events of 1700back to top
Current affairsThe sudden death of Prince William, son of Princess Anne and George, Prince of Denmark, triggers a succession crisis. His birth had secured the succession of the crown to a Protestant, safeguarding the throne from any future claim by James II's Catholic son, James Francis.
Art and scienceDramatist, William Congreve's comedy The Way of the World premieres at Lincoln's Inn Theatre, receiving a mixed reception. It would achieve greater literary acclaim in modern times. Poet, John Dryden, dies and is buried in Geoffrey Chaucer's grave in Westminster Abbey.
InternationalDiplomat and poet, Matthew Prior, secretly negotiates with Louis XIV, king of France, a second partition treaty concerning the Spanish Empire. However, following the death of Spanish ruler, Carlos II, the agreement collapses since neither Spanish or Austrian governments accept the treaty's proposals.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- Kings and Queens Mug
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Richard III Fridge Magnet
- Richard III Mini-print
- Richard III Cushion
- King Richard III Jigsaw
- King Richard III Glasses Case
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- Richard III Quote Tote Bag
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Richard III Keyring
- King Richard III by Unknown artist Postcards