King Henry VII
1 portrait of King Henry VII
King Henry VII
by John Payne
line engraving, 1622
6 1/8 in. x 4 1/4 in. (157 mm x 109 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 64 portraits.
Artistback to top
- John Payne (died 1648 or before), Printmaker. Artist associated with 68 portraits, Sitter in 4 portraits.
Linked publicationsback to top
- Bolland, Charlotte; Cooper, Tarnya, The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered, 2014 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 12th September 2014 to 1st March 2015), p. 24
Subjects & Themesback to top
Events of 1622back to top
Current affairsLawyer and legal politician, Sir Edward Coke, is imprisoned in the Tower, and later under house arrest, ostensibly for asserting the right to debate commonweath matters in Parliament. The first race held at Newmarket is run between horses belonging to William Cecil, Earl of Salisbury and Marquis of Buckingham.
Art and scienceThe Tragedy of Othello, by playwright William Shakespeare, is published in quarto format for the first time by Thomas Walkley.Masque of Augurs, written by Benjamin Jonson, and designed by Inigo Jones, is performed at the newly built Banqueting House at Whitehall.
InternationalPeace conference convenes in Brussels endeavouring to end the escalating crisis in Europe. James I, involved in initiating the conference, sends politician Sir Richard Weston, Earl of Portland, to negotiate recovery of the Palatinate from Habsburg forces. In Northern America, Algonquian Indians kill hundreds of English settlers around Jamestown.
Related shop items
- Magnetic Monarchs
- Henry VII Cushion
- Henry VII A5 Sketchpad
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits (paperback)
- A Guide to the National Portrait Gallery (paperback)
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- THE FACE OF BRITAIN: THE NATION THROUGH ITS PORTRAITS
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- Kings and Queens of England Mug
- King Henry VII by Unknown Netherlandish artist Postcards