King Henry VII
1 portrait on display at Montacute House
King Henry VII
by Jodocus Hondius
line engraving, 1610
3 in. x 2 5/8 in. (75 mm x 67 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Sitterback to top
- King Henry VII (1457-1509), Reigned 1485-1509. Sitter associated with 65 portraits.
Artistback to top
- Jodocus Hondius (1563-1611). Artist associated with 10 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
This portraitback to top
Printed portrait sets of kings and queens were popular in England in the reigns of Queen Elizabeth I (1558-1603) and her successor James I (1603-1625). These portraits were engraved for a publication called The Theatre of The Empire of Great Britaine by John Speed, first published in 1611, in which they framed a map of Lancashire. The series celebrated the union of the houses of Lancaster and York through the marriage of Henry VII and Elizabeth of York in 1486. It was through this marriage that the Tudor dynasty was founded.
Related worksback to top
Events of 1610back to top
Current affairsLady Arabella Stuart, cousin of James I, secretly marries William Seymour, Marquess of Hertford. James I's chaotic finances prompts Robert Cecil, Earl of Salisbury to submit to Parliament the great contract which proposed increases to the king's income for James's relinquishment of his feudal rights; however, it was not implemented.
Art and scienceThe Alchemist, by playwright Benjamin Jonson, is first performed by the acting troupe, the King's Men. Jonson also writes Prince Henry's Barriers, in honour of Henry, Prince of Wales. Stationers' Company agrees to give Thomas Bodley a copy of every book registered with them for his growing Bodleian Library.
InternationalHenry IV, King of France, is assassinated in Paris by Catholic fanatic, François Ravaillac. Henry, born a Calvinist, converted to Catholicism before ascending the throne to appease his future subjects. Although a popular king, much loved by his people, two earlier attempts had been made on his life.
Buy a print
Related shop items
- A Guide to Tudor & Jacobean Portraits
- Magnetic Monarchs
- National Portrait Gallery Kings & Queens (paperback)
- The Real Tudors: Kings and Queens Rediscovered
- National Portrait Gallery: A Portrait of Britain
- A Portrait of Fashion: Six Centuries of Dress at the National Portrait Gallery
- The Face of Britain: The Nation Through Its Portraits
- The Kings and Queens of England Poster
- King Henry VII by Unknown Netherlandish artist Postcards