4 of 13 portraits of John Hunter
by and published by William Sharp, and published by Benjamin Beale Evans, and published by William Skelton, after Sir Joshua Reynolds
line engraving, published 1 January 1788 (1786)
20 1/8 in. x 15 1/8 in. (510 mm x 383 mm) paper size
acquired Unknown source, 1954
Click on the links below to find out more:
Artistsback to top
- Benjamin Beale Evans (active 1783-1824), Printseller and engraver. Artist associated with 7 portraits.
- Sir Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792), Painter and first President of the Royal Academy. Artist associated with 1413 portraits, Sitter associated with 38 portraits.
- William Sharp (1749-1824), Engraver. Artist associated with 72 portraits, Sitter in 2 portraits.
- William Skelton (1763-1848), Engraver. Artist associated with 58 portraits.
Related worksback to top
Linked publicationsback to top
- Hackmann, W.D., Apples and Atoms: Portraits of Scientists from Newton to Rutherford, 1986, p. 32
- Jordanova, Ludmilla, Defining Features: Scientific and Medical Portraits 1660-2000, 2000 (accompanying the exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery from 14 April to 17 September 2000), p. 120
Exhibitions and displays
- Favourites: Art and Power, 1600-1800
Until 1 September