King Henry VIII
11 of 95 portraits of King Henry VIII
King Henry VIII
after Unknown artist
etching, possibly 1545
2 in. x 4 1/8 in. (51 mm x 105 mm) paper size
Given by the daughter of compiler William Fleming MD, Mary Elizabeth Stopford (née Fleming), 1931
Click on the links below to find out more:
Events of 1545back to top
Current affairsThe French fleet makes an invasion attempt on England. The pride of the English fleet, the Mary Rose warship is sunk during the engagement with the French, killing over seven hundred men.
Art and scienceThe artist John Bettes the Elder paints A Man in a Black Cap. The artist's nationality is emphasized in the inscription faict par Johan Bettes Anglois (made by John Bettes, Englishman).The Dutch artist William Scrots arrives in England and becomes the principal court painter. The first botanical garden in Europe is established in the University of Padua.
InternationalThe Council of Trent convenes. Summoned by Pope Paul III and running until 1563, the council reasserts the doctrines of the Catholic Church in answer to the Protestant Reformation. It is one of the principal events of the Counter-Reformation.
Exhibitions and displays
- Framing the Face: Collars and Ruffs
Until 16 July
- Reproducing Fame: Printmakers and the Nineteenth Century Stage
Until 2 July
- Henry VIII Remembered
- WebQuest: Henry VIII's Next Wife?
- WebQuest: Henry VIII - Man Versus Myth
- Picturing History: A portrait set of early English kings and queens
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Art Conservation Project
- Tudor pick up guides
- Director's Trail by Nicholas Cullinan
- Kings and Queens: A Family tree
- Return to Life: A New Look at the Portrait Bust